Saturday, September 14, 2013

"The Future Of Us" by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler




      One of the books I chose to read this summer was, "The Future Of Us", by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler. I found myself constantly re-reading pages to make sure I understood completely what was going on. I realized that the main characters were very interesting when around each other. Emma and Josh used to be the best of friends until  Josh developed feelings for Emma but she didn't feel the same way, so they drifted apart from there. They've lived next to each other for forever, but something brings them back together as friends, which is Facebook. This book takes place in 1996, when people were using AOL very often and Online CD-ROM's. Josh's family had given the CD-ROM to the Emma's family. Emma had been warned that sometimes they mess with your computers especially with AOL, but she continues to download it anyway. When she discovers Facebook on her computer she analyzes it she invites Josh over to view it as well. Their profiles are 15 years into the future, but it takes time before they realize that the more information they find about their futures, the more they begin to mess with it and make changes.
     
     After Emma has invited Josh to see Facebook on her computer, he completely denies it and states that it is fake, and that someone is toying with her computer to make her believe all this stuff. Day after day he denies it, but when he finds out that he marries the most popular girl in school, Sydney Mills, he begins to make an effort to talk to her. He sticks up for her in class, and makes even more of an effort to get to know her, so he can  build up the courage to ask her out. Meanwhile Emma is onto her second husband. She found out that she was married to a Jordan Jones and that she met him in college. After she looked through several phone books, she gave him a call, but she wasn't interested in him. She instantly crossed that college off of her list. Later on she marries a Kevin. She thought everything was perfect, but he was becoming like her last husband, and she didn't think it was going to work. She divorced him because she wasn't happy according to her Facebook statuses and her friends agreed, Her thoughts, and her actions changed her future. She found out that her best friend Kellan had a 14 year old. Considering Facebook was only 15 years into the future, Kellan was either pregnant then, or was going to be soon. She didn't let Kellan out of her sight, because Kellan had a mapped out future and a perfect career in mind, but according to Facebook, that never happened. 
      
     Those weren't the only times that Emma had toyed with her future, but I completely understand why. In Emma's mind, she had a perfect future, but when she was introduced to Facebook, everything seemed different 15 years later. She constantly worried about her past and how she turned down Josh. Her words were, "No. You're . . . Josh." She didn't mean it in a mean way but I could see how he took that offensive. She meant that he's supposed to be her best friend, someone she could count on. She didn't want to ruin their friendship, but that happened anyway. She soon realizes that her knowing her future has made her life worse. Even though her and Josh have become friends again, they fight a lot. I think that it's because she's jealous that Josh isn't so caught up on her anymore, and that he's been paying Sydney Mills more attention than anyone. You can tell that Josh was jealous of Emma's ex-boyfriend and her crush after that, but he didn't show it as much as she did. Rather, it wasn't as obvious. She regrets telling Josh that on Facebook, him and Sydney are married and their life is perfect. She realizes that her attempting to re-create her own future was hurting other peoples futures. That's when on Facebook she mentions that she's going to deactivate her account. When she gets home from the senior ditch day bonfire, Facebook no longer exist when she logs into AOL, which  relieves her. She was satisfied that it was over. All the drama, all the changes and everything, was over. 

     I think the reason that I liked this book a lot was because it wasn't specifically like other books or movies about the future that I've read or have seen. It had it's own little back-story which helped the story flow. I liked how Emma and Josh lived right next door to each other and Josh was in the grade below Emma. I think I enjoyed the ending because at the end, Josh Tyson, Kellan, and Emma all hang out at Tyson's dad's pizza shop which has a deep ball pit inside for when teens and kids are hanging out. (Tyson is also a friend of theirs) Kellan and Tyson purposely leave Emma and Josh alone and while they were all having fun, Josh accidentally touched Emma's hand and pulled away, but Emma reached for his hand and held it. This book seemed so realistic like as if it could happen any day in your life. Like as if you could discover a new social network with your new computer and it's already logged in with all your information and the people there consist of your closest friends and maybe even secrets you've never told anyone before. Maybe you have a stalker but its an old friend of yours that you forgot about or stopped talking to because of whatever reason. All in all, this was an amazing book, and it's something I would read over and over. 

29 comments:

  1. I like the moment you described in your last paragraph about the to characters holding hands. It's a nice way to end your response, with a specific, memorable detail from the text. It makes me interested in the relationship between these two characters and makes me want to read the bookl

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like how you wrote your response. It was interesting in a way were i couldve read more about it if there was. It makes me wanna read the book myself c:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your introduction was very good! You really summarized the whole story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you described the relationship between the two characters was really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you added a very descriptive description of the book, without giving any Spoilers, yet letting on enough to make me want to read the book. It was an amazing way to intrigue people into the book without giving too much away. Nice Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i liked how you were speecific ewith details from the book. it made me wonder if i should read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked that at the end of the last paragraph you gave your input on the whole book itself. Whether you enjoyed the book or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how while you were introducing the plot of the story you were also introducing the character at the same time. I also liked how you didnt just summarize the whole book; you gave your thoughts and ideas. This response really made me want to read this book

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way you described the book in the beginning, it really helped me understand the story. I read this book too over the summer, and I enjoyed it as well. I liked how you shared your own opinion about the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your reading response because I also read the book The Future Of Us over the summer. I think that you did a great job at summing up the book. I also had the same thoughts as you about the characters in the book. The future of us is also a book that I would read over and over :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like the way it seems like you are talking and not just writing an essay. you are good at using a voice in your response. i would totally read this book! :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your response is really good. I liked how you really summarized the book as well as explaining the characters and ideas throughout the book. You made me really want to read this book. I thought you did really well with explaining the plot and the important events.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked how you engaged the reader by writing it so that it sounded like you were talking to them. I also liked how you used lots of detail in your response so we know what exactly happened

    ReplyDelete
  14. your blog was very interesting it made me want to read the book. The way you described the characters and book was great. Also i like how you wrote how you liked the book and why.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the structure of the post and how you explained the story so the reader knows about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like how you weren't just making any normal essay, but you were actually talking to the reader. This made reading your response enjoyable and almost fun! Your response really made me want to read the book. I do the samne thing you do when I'm really into a book "found myself constantly re-reading pages to make sure I understood completely what was going on. great Response !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really liked how you explained why and really wrote about your idea. Your supporting paragraphs were really well structured. I read this book too and I really like your last paragraph; what you said about how it wasn't like any other "future books". Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like how in the intro you summarize the story and also how you talked about your personal experience with the book. (You had to reread pages). I also liked how the tone was casual but still kept me interested in the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked the moment where you describe the time and what people where dong at that time. It's a nice way to begin the response, it makes me want to read the book now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the your chocie of words, it really made the response sound more sophisticated :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your introduction because it was as if you were talking to the reader which made your whole bog overall very interesting to read. I also liked that you added your opinion in your blog because it made the blog have its own voice and I also liked how you gave a summary of the book so the reader could know what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked how you were very detailed in your blog. And how you explained why you liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the way you wrote the conclusion, about your opinions on the book made a connection to the real world

    ReplyDelete
  25. I liked in the summary how you described how Emma was getting a little jealous of Josh and Sydney. You described the characters so clearly in the text.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I liked how you explained how finding out about the future impacted Emma's life. It helped me to understand the theme a bit better. It also made the book seem very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  27. I liked how you gave a summary and it seem like you were talking to the readers. I also liked how you structure your writing into paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i really liked it because it explain a lot about the story and the the introduction was amazing. It was well written and explained.

    ReplyDelete
  29. To be honest you've done a great job explaining yourself about the story. In addition, you added a lot of detail and that made me paint a picture in my head about what that book was about.

    ReplyDelete